View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 09:16 PM   #16
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Soul-swapping??? Well, I did ask you to speculate, Bill, didn't I!

The usual interpretation of the 'twisting' of elves into orcs from the earlier conception to the 'twisting' of men and beasts of the later conception is that the body was directly altered by sorcery and torture -- I just don't like that, it leads to implications that seem too unjust to me, and as the resulting races all come out evil, it seems reasonable to me that the evil came first.

But I stand by one body, one soul, Bill! Genetic mixing by mating or sorcerous mingling (Dr Jeckyll's potion, anyone? The cartoon Tweety-Hyde is forever imprinted on my mind!) I can agree with (at least I agree with it in Saruman's Uruks and the half-orc) -- but putting the Fea of a man into the Hroa of an Orc -- noooo! My brain is melting! I believe I may be twisting, twisting .... ok, kidding.

Seriously, I can see any of these bad 'S' folks messing with mind and body, but while they could obviously expell the Fea/Spirit from the Hroa/Body by the simple method of killing the victim, the rules of the world are that the Spirit's then free to go to its fate as decreed by Eru -- it's possible a Fea could refuse the call -- they do -- but I really think reinserting a Fea into another's Hroa is not within their power. Otherwise, Sauron could bring the dead back to life in captured bodies rather than just stay their aging into a slow fade.

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: Nar ]