View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
NA-RG-01: In this particular case Noldor is definitley needed, since it refers to the knowledge of the blue lamps, that were a special sign of the Noldor. It could not been said that Beleg did not know Elves.
Quote:
Gnome/Gnomes to Elf/Elves or Noldo/Noldor. "Gnomes"; was dropped by Tolkien in LR and later writings, often replaced by Noldor. It would be better artistically to retain the original variation Gnome/Gnomes and Noldo/Noldoli which can be best done by replacing Gnome/Gnomes by Elf/Elves except where a general reference to Elves would not fit, as in "the Gnomes were exiles at heart, haunted with a desire for their ancient home that faded not." Then use Noldor.
This was before my time here, but I have of course read it. I have some concerns about it: I agree that it is nice "artistically to retain the original variation Gnome/Gnomes and Noldo/Noldoli". But I don't think Elves is a good replacment for Gnomes. The beter choice would as a replacment for "Gnomes" would be "Displaced Noldor" or "Exiled Noldor" (would a valid short form for thsi bei "Exiles"?) and not "Elves". The Gnomes were a subgroupe of the Noldor. Thus what was done so far was to change a refference from a very special subgroupe to a very common overgroupe.
As jet the discussion had never again comeback to that issue but now I think we should think about it again.
"Exiled Nodor" could not often be used, since it is to blocky, but we should check it some times as a perfect replacment in sense.

NA-RG-02:I do not know if "Greats" was ever used for all the Valar. But here the reference is changed from a larger group to a subgroup of the fromer.

NA-RG-02.5: "an Elf" is okay here if we use "Noldor" in NA-RG-01 since then the reader dose already know that it is a Noldo Beleg is locking at.

NA-RG-03:
Quote:
NA-RG-03{Flinding go-Fuilin}[Gwindor] fleeing{ in anguish}[, Guilin's son]
Is okay.

NA-SL-03: Is "Doriath" any better then "Thingol"?

NA-TI-22: I agree that we can hardly hope to do this, thus we will not try it.

NA-RG-06: Agreed.

NA-RG-07: What about:

Quote:
of NA-RG-07{Flinding}[Guilin's son]{ go-Fuilin}? Shall free-born NA-RG-07.5{Gnome}[Gwindor]
NA-RG-07: Agreed.

NA-SL-04: Aiwendil wrote:
Quote:
But I'm a bit doubtful about it. Surely there are no longer any Men or Elves living in Taur-nu- Fuin. I suppose, though, the line could be read as referring to abandoned dwellings.
I never thought that the dwellings were in Taur-nu-Fuin! I thought of areas like the woods south of Taeglin or the old lands of the Magor south of the Ered Wethrin where Edain might still have lived and of Grey Elves like to Annael maybe anywhere in roughly the same area.

NA-SL-05: Agreed, "to" is realy still okay.

NA-RG-15, NA-RG-15.5, NA-RG-17, NA-RG-18: Agreed.

NA-TI-23, NA-EX-47: I thought it was a bit overdone to hold "he was senseless ins a sleep of great weariness" since exactly that was explained in the sentence before. But If you don't think so we will hold that phrase. But what about:
Quote:
NA-TI-23<Sil77 {Then in great peril they entered in, and they found Túrin fettered hand and foot and}And tied he was to a withered tree{; and all}. All about him knives that had been cast at him were embedded in the trunk, and NA-EX-46<GA; Commentary §275 the {dragon-helm}[Dragon-helm]{ - or} was{ it} set on Túrin's head in mockery by the Orcs that tormented him>. He[/u]{he} was senseless in a sleep of great weariness{. But}[u], but though Beleg and Gwindor cut the bonds that held him NA-EX-47<editorial bridge the Lay tells that
NA-RG-21, NA-RG-23.5, NA-RG-24: Agreed.

Spellnames: I see your point. But it seems to me you are the best of use to check the elvish.

It seems to me, I am no great help with the poem.
I had hoped very much that we would find some help with this alliterative and (later) ryming issues.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote