View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 08:13 PM   #1
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Book vs. Movie characters

Okay, maybe this belongs in the Movie forum but I want opinions and references mostly from the books. Which characters do you think they changed (i.e. messed with character or portrayed in a more/less flattering light) in the movie? I know about the obvious ones like Faramir and the Ents. But what about some of the less obvious ones. Like Legolas: In the beginning of the journey, he comes across as sort of an immature show-off to me, as opposed to the movie where he starts out wise and mature. Like the part on Caradhras (book) where he watches poor Aragorn and Boromir trying to dig thru the snow, then decides to go help out and states how much better Elves are suited for the task of anything snow-related--"...but choose an otter for swimming, and for running light over grass and leaf, or over snow- an Elf". But I do think he grows up considerably after the death of Gandalf. And it seems to me that "book Boromir" was a little nicer than he was in the movie. (I can't recall any specific instances, but it's just a general feeling.)

Any others anyone can think of?