View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
... it seems to me that "book Boromir" was a little nicer than he was in the movie.
It's funny, but my initial reaction to Boromir when I first read LotR (aged 11) was negative. The more subtle nuances in his character, the (in my view) noble motives that led to his being seduced by the Ring and his ultimate triumph in overcoming it all passed straight over my head. Of course, I have come to appreciate the more sympathetic aspects of his character in re-reading the book since.

But, I would not say that Boromir was necessarily "nicer" in the book than the film. I thought that Sean Bean played him incredibly sympathetically and captured the internal struggle marvellously. His interplay with Merry and Pippin in particular, his concern for the Hobbits on Caradhras and his eventual acceptance of Aragorn's inheritance all mark him out in the film as a very sympathetic character. I also think that his repentance following his attempt to seize the Ring was brought out very well in the film.

Indeed. Bean's performance was, for me, one of the best in the two films released to date, and also one of the truest to his character in the book.