View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I think you're painting Balin as a bit of an underhanded scheming type here. Thats certainly not the impression I had when reading the Hobbit. Balin seems to be the 'best' of the Dwarves, reasonably courageous, not as arrogant as Thorin and most friendly to the 'professional treasure seeker'.

I think Balin eventually became a little bored with Erebor, he seems the most 'adventurous' of the original 13 Dwarves. Also Dain had the responsibility of a kingdom to run so couldn't be expected to lead the expedition to Moria.

Balin then seems the perfect choice to go to Moria, after all he'd already been instrumental in restoring one Dwarven kingdom, why not a second?

As for the seventh ring, I doubt the Dwarves really expected to find it in Moria, after all Sauron certainly wouldn't have left it in the hands of some brigand or orc chieftain. It was an outside chance at best though certainly Bilbo's exploits and, later, Sauron's emissary must have focussed the minds of the Dwarves on the subject of rings.

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Rumil ]