View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
We have been led to believe that Sauron can see everything
Well sure, but not all at once. Is it possible for anyone other than Eru to be omnipresent, or at least for their will and perception to be omnipresent? That doesn't seem possible. So naturally there are always going to be places that Sauron is not looking at.
Quote:
What other entrances are there?
Well, they could've gone around to that sea, Nurnen I think, and entered that way, but it would've taken forever and they probably would've gotten caught. Then again, they logically should've been caught on the path they did take.
Quote:
Aren't we seeing Frodo's ultimate failure at the Sammath Naur foreshadowed right here? If so, why do we continue with any hope? Do we share Sam's blind faith in Frodo, or is our faith, whether we realise it or not, in something (Someone) else?
I think that's it. The first time I read the book I didn't have an ounce of faith in Frodo. I mean, he couldn't willingly toss the Ring into his fireplace back in the Shire. That stuck with me and for the rest of the book I knew that Frodo couldn't possibly toss the Ring into the cracks. But I did think the Ring would get destroyed somehow. I suppose that I was counting on a hefty dose of luck or divine intervention.
Quote:
Why does Smeagol think Frodo is going to Mordor?
Hmm... now I have to go back and read and see if I can't find something. I've never really thought about that. Any reason for going to Mordor is bad for Gollum. You know, I think Gollum helped as much as he did because of his oath and the fear of breaking it. If Frodo had tried to walk in the Black Gate, which would mean certain capture, I imagine that Gollum would've tried to take the Ring since it would've been his last chance.

Gollum was going to try to take the Ring, no doubt about that, but he put off taking it because of fear.