View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #142
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Roy laughed for the joy he saw and heard, and felt.

With Bergil greeting Indil, he considered himself freed up for the moment to engage whatever questions might come. He became suddenly aware that he could hear familiar voices in his head, and some unfamiliar. More surprising yet, he realized that he was listening in his head to the four Elves in the room. Did they know that he could hear them?

Ravion's question needed to be answered. Roy grew sobre, but the smile did not leave his face. He motioned to Ravion and the other humans, excepting Bergil, to gather just outside the cave so that they could speak. Ravion seemed willing enough, and the others as well. They moved outside. It was still cold, but warming, and the sun shown almost blindingly on the bright snow.

The others stood watching him and waiting.

"Aeron is dead," Roy told them. "I am responsible. I allowed Tharonwë to control my mind for a while, and he caused me to try to kill Mellondu. But Aeron fought against me with Mellondu, and in the heat of the moment I threw him over the edge of the cliff to his death. He lies there now. The moment I had done the deed, I came to my senses and regretted the deed. Regret cannot bring him back nor redress the deed. Had I been truthful with myself the sooner, I would have had the strength to withstand Tharonwë; but because I allowed myself to believe lies, he had a means into my mind, and so the deed was done.

"But finally I told myself the truth and repented of my lies, and all my memory came back, and I was able to withstand Tharonwë, and more, was able to hold him prisoner in the cell he had made for us, until you arrived. That is my tale, and it is true. I grieve for my part in Aeron's death, and will do all I can to avenge him and redress my wrong."