View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Song for the End Credits of AUJ Movie

The Song of the Lonely Mountain

Thought I'd post my comments here, because they are literally "gushing" and "swooning" over this song on TheOneRing.net. I would have to get argumentative, and you know I am too polite for such abrasive commentary.

But I didn't care for it, personally. No sir. Underwhelmed would be an understatement. The Maori chants do not mesh well with the dwarvish character I have come to know from the books; in fact, aboriginal chanting seems out of place in a high culture like the Naugrim (after all, we know the poetic meter and musical instrumentation of the dwarves directly from The Hobbit).

I also think the reedy nature of Neil Finn's voice does not project as inherently doughty and dwarvish - he looks and sounds more like a hobbit. It recalls for me any of the failed Chris DeBurgh or Al Stewart epic songs of the 70s and 80s. "A Spaceman Came Traveling" or "Don't Pay the Ferryman" anyone?

I could have chosen ten to twenty other performers who could have composed a better song. I was rather moved by the performances of Enya and Annie Lennox in the previous movies. Not so here.