Thread: Galadriel
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 11:31 AM   #31
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Lindil's original interpretation of Galadriel is most succinct. UT and Peoples of ME give some insight on what JRRT had in mind in developing the character. It seems to me that he did want to revise some of her history to build her character (not quite as high/important as the Virgin Mary - no no no!)to a status that equalled Feanor himself ('she was strong of body, mind, and will, a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar...'). One of the few (if not only)elves left in Middle Earth to have gazed upon the Two Trees invokes to me that she has both wisdom and power incomparable to any non-Maian creature in Middle Earth. And, as noted by Lindil, on top of that she studied under the maian Melian for how many years? Hundreds? Thousands? Remember Melian's girdle protected Doriath from Morgoths shadow. Morgoth's "ring" was the very land of Middle Earth (MR). And it is so reflected in her strategy of resistance. I think her power was not in the leading of forces but the resitance of shadow. I think what her disposition reflects is the tutalage of Melian plus the lessoned learned from the revolt of the Noldor - grabbing your sword and rushing out to battle resulted ultimately in: (1) The goal of recovering the Silmarills failling utterlly, and (2) the complete destruction of Middle Earth - or at least a large swath of it...
It should be noted that there were more than one foray against Sauron by her people. She may have not been at the front, but I would like to think she instigated and coordinated the assaults and maybe left the command of the Galadhrim to Celeborn for logistic reasons.
Also the gift to Gimli was a huge thing when it is noted that the same request to her by Feanor was rejected (mabye inspiring him to create the Silmarills?). Gift indeed...
It's a shame to me that the author could not complete the works and the theme of Galadriel's character.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote