View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 02:05 PM   #24
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Entering Lothlorien is the closest a mortal is going to come [ unless you are Tuor,Gimli Amandil or a ring -bearer] to living in 'Undying Lands'.

Galadriel had effectively stopped Time there, things were hallowed and did not decay. THe effects of the curse of Morgoth were to a large degree overcome.

The food was different, the music was different, the prople 'perilously beautiful', I know if I have entered and left, and gone back to say Rohan, I would forever be thinking back to that, less efective in my work etc.

This would all seem as if someone, i.e. the Lady of the Golden Wood had 'put a spell on you'.

Infact you perceived truth and beauty to such a degree that to integrate and remain ion your old society would be extremely difficult. The Fellowship managed [ although we read they all had tears in their eyes upon leaving [even Boromir]] because a] they had felt the power of a ring within an Elven community before and b] they stayed mostly with each other and c] they were travelling with an Elf and aragorn who were able to act as intermediaries.

So it is a similar situation to people who experience heaven and come back, they often can not speak of it directly, and many become monks or nuns, i.e.to live in a world where return is possible or at least not actively hindered.

It is one of the many tragedies of the LotR that theElves are still there, next door to Rohan or companies walking through the shire but the mortals around them can not bring themselves to avail themselves of these living treasures of lore and wisdom.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote