View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 11:43 PM   #51
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When TT opened, I was there at the first showing in the long line waiting to be let into the theatre. Since it was a week night, and since none of my good movie buddies are Tolkien fans, I was alone. The question of where to sit became moot as we all simply flowed into the theatre as one. I found myself sitting next to young boys of about 15. (I say "young" because I am 50.) "Is it okay if I sit here?" I asked, thinking they might cringe at the thought of sitting next to an "old lady." The reply was, "No, milady. Pray thee, have a seat." Charmed, I sat down and felt rather optimistic about my movie companions. "Are you here because you like the movies or the books?" I asked. "Milady, we are Tolkien geeks in every sense of the word." 'Nuff said, I thought (using my previous Marvel vernacular). We proceeded to watch TT and exchanged comments every so often--"Oh no!!! I can't believe it! Why did they . . .?" "Wow! they really nailed that scene down!" "Oh, they DID put that scene in the movie. Good!" and so on.

Since leaving the theatre that night, I've had many occasions to say to people, "I'm a Tolkien geek." And I was, and am, proud. Only I don't say it so much anymore because there were some looks of pity and, as most of you know, when you get looks of pity for being enthused about all things Tolkien, there's no point in explaining.