View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Jessamy bristled. Her blue eyes flashed with anger, "I go lots of places without my mother!" she pronounced. She did not elaborate, having the wit to realise that School, her brother's place and other routine errands round Breeland, where just about everyone knew everyone else and watched out for each others' children, weren't in the same league as wandering the downs amongst these strange stones and mounds. She remembered that her father had said that they were tombs of the ancient kings, that they were many strange tales about them and the old forest beyond but though Jessamy was a great one for stories of the old days she pushed them to the back of her mind now.

She squared her shoulders, and marched determinedly towards the barrow's entrance, her pace enough to overtake Edwin, hissing "I am not scared" defiantly as she did so. Yet she too saw a flicker of something as she reached the stone portal. Just a shadow she told herself knowing full well that the sun was still too high to cast a shadow so long and too pale for one so strong. She could not flinch in front of Edwin now. It would be as bad as showing fear in front of Filbert. The youngest of her brothers, for so long the youngest child, felt less responsibility for her than his elders and bore perhaps a lingering slight resentment towards his usurper which meant he would lead her wilfully into mischief at times.

Jessamy walked on, only pausing under the stone lintel to turn and enquire of Edwin with deliberate insouciance - "I don't suppose you thought to bring a lamp?"

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-08-2009 at 11:01 AM.