View Single Post
Old 05-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #316
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I rather like the idea of aiming for October 20th - 25th. Ideal, I think, for arriving at Rivendell? First round, though, I'll go for Dec. 17th. '04 will probably be a bit different. Maybe there won't be such a late-coming spring.

Hobbits are made of stern stuff, aren't they? 458 miles, starting Septemember 22nd? That gives them about a month to walk the distance. Especially considering that hobbits tend to be a bit round in the stomach and don't often go on such long treks. Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin have my utmost admiration.

Concerning the Fatty Bolger Challenge... I thought that was really wonderful. It was put on as a joke but I think it should be taken quite seriously by those who don't think they can walk 458 miles. That distance is quite a challenge! But I think we should all do what the WtR page told us to: Don't look at it as going 458 miles. Make small goals. Your first goal would be 18 miles, Green Hill Country. Then 46 miles, etc. Not as... overwhelming.

But if any of them find they've made it to Crickhollow and they still have time left, they'll be welcomed here, I'm sure. The name (The Fatty Bolger Challenge) was too cute for me. I could just see Fredegar walking up Mount Doom... er.... not the point, but that was the image that sprang to mind. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Now, a question! I know some of us are 'being characters.' Elves, Dwarves, Men, Hobbits, etc. Is anybody being a character they've made up from a RPG or story, whether the story is published on a fan fiction page or not?

As for myself, my character is Robin Brandybuck from the Long Winter RPG, now Robin Green, of course. She's travelling to Rivendell again to visit her friend Nicrabanwen and on the way she's stopping at Buckland where her husband Dinodas is working. Her two children are back at Hobbiton in the care of her mother, because they're too young to go on this journey but Robin has to make it. On return from each little trip I write what small adventures I had from still young Robin's point of view. I've built up a lot of sympathy for the poor hobbit, so torn in two. Her husband lies one way and her children the other. At the end of the road, I'll be copying it all down to computer and putting it on a webpage for viewing... will most likely be much too long to post here!

But for those of you who are 'playing' characters on this road: What are their names? Why are they going to Rivendell? Perhaps you have an Elf who was in Hobbiton and is now returning to his/her home? I'm interested in hearing!

28 miles,
Nurumaiel