View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #1967
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Excerpts from the PMs- Night 1

Since it seems a lot of people are curious, I'll post some parts of the PMs. On Night 1 there was so much talk of strategy, it's hard to just summarise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
Obviously it is important for us to have some sway in the process of who is elected. I think it would be somewhat wise to have some people elected who are easy to suspect. That way when they get it wrong it can and will be used against them. It is likely that we won't even have to bring it up.

I'm not sure what we need to do with the phantom, if he would be worth killing early on or not. He is srewd and clever but he generally gathers a fair amount of suspicion. I wouldn't put it past Fea to make him the seer either.

I know that this is early to talk about it but I want to make it very clear that I won't hesitate to turn on any of you should I see an opportunity that will help us to gather the win in the end, and neither should you. I don't think we need to attack each other too early but if there is a good opportunity that we could gain some immunity I would like to see it.

I would also like to see if we could get one or two of us elected. I'm not sure it would be overly risky for one of us to propose the other to be elected. For example, I generally make it fairly clear that I think highly of Nogrod's judgement so it wouldnt' be odd for me to suggest him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka
I think only having one of us elected would be wise, just in the case our seer becomes a bit too cocky, and that we shouldn't all (of course) vote for them immediately. I don't doubt that one of the first things the seer will try to figure out is not why a representative was selected, but who voted for them and what have they done so far. Maybe we can have one or two of us 'drift' off and select someone else or put ourselves in a different camp. Though, it would be rather ironic if the seer was one of the representatives, and especially if one of us voted for them. As for now though, there's no definate way of knowing who is the seer, hopefully tomorrow reveals something.

tp is a good choice, but it would be far too likely for everyone involved if he was the seer. I dunno, it seems as if the game would be far less challenging. tp may be quite clever, but he can stumble a little if you feed the fire of his ego enough (namely to have a flippant attitude, then be constructively nice and only active enough to please his interests). Worked for me last time, I wasn't a wolf but he left me fairly well alone as long as I sometimes remembered that he was 'the' phantom and that he used his own type reason.

I'm not certain if it'll work this time, but I'd rather pay more attention to Boromir88. He's steady and stubborn for sure, but also tricky in that everyone will eventually leave him and his interests alone when they really shouldn't. I guess just keeping an eye on him for now would be a good suggestion.

The sacrificing tactic is okay, I guess, but you have to be careful you don't do it in the middle of a bandwagon crisis and/or too early. I've been the 'volunteer' twice and when we didn't plan right at least one or two of the other wolves were immediately spotted by a more analytical player the next voting Day. So, I agree with morm on that it should be used lightly. Preferably as one of the few last resorts, killing one and then to end up hanging ourselves is one of the ways to make us feel rather pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Quote:
I'm not sure what we need to do with the phantom, if he would be worth killing early on or not. He is srewd and clever but he generally gathers a fair amount of suspicion. I wouldn't put it past Fea to make him the seer either.
I would love to see him lynched and not killed by Night. You know many people just get annoyed with him... He might be one of those with whom we might even think about a tactics of some kind. Like The KA using hers, One of us others might play "the annoyed", one the trusting and the third the suspecter or something like that?
Anyway - and with regards to anyone other than us - we should not work too tightly around the same issues. This is a big village and I think we all should more or less ignore at least one or two of our mates during the first Days.

Of course if there is a clear "talk of the town" on Day1 fex. it would be hard to not say anything about it. But one of us could play then the annoyed person who says "it's stupid to concentrate on just one thing" - while someone else might be one to keep that discussion up etc.
Quote:
Boro sure needs to be watched closely. When he thinks he's on a track he can be not only stubborn but also persuasive and strong. My initial thought on a situation where Boro goes after one of us would be that someone might echo his suspicions (kind of play nice with him) while another one should probably go against him (defend the one under his suspicion) - and the third one should just stay away from that particular debate if possible. Or something.
Quote:
I just got a mad idea. And please do shoot me down with this...

But how about we went on in a dearing manner us all (or at least three of us) voting for the same Representative - not one of us - on Day1? Someone who would be not too keen to vote for anyone of us (even if s/he might have mentioned someone of us a a potential candidate) and being basically sensible. Not making too much out of it but still turning towards that same candidate who hopefully had a wrong person as her/his primary target? It would be both hilarious but also tactically great if it paid off and the one would be lynched the next Day (or at least be suspected heavily from that on?) while some / most of us washed our hands from that the next Day? I mean when we get a bandwagon rolling many will pick it up and anyhow no one will believe the wolves made such a concerted effort on Day1 for choosing someone not one of them and possibly slightly suspecting one of them! It might pay us back in the last Days if we were ready to risk in the beginning?

The seer anyhow will be on our way and needs to be appeased somehow as I think both me and morm will be ones in the head of any shortlist (with tp, Boro, Di, Kath, Legate... you name it...) and then - depending on the seer's strategy and person - Brinn and THe Ka would not be the last ones to be checked either...

Surely it all depends on how people will post on Day1 and I guess that as we all seem to be more or less veterans to this game we all know what to do and how to improvise.
Quote:
I see where you are going with this and I like it. I think we need to take some calculated risks that will work to our benefit. The one thing I would like to see is how many votes each rep gets. It might be a bit unusual to get 3 votes from us and then 1 or 2 others. I think the first day that may work...actually I'm going to recommend early on that we, the village, establish a decent target range to fall in between on our total number of representatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka
Do we have an idea of whom to vote for, or are we going to let someone make a suggestion then pick which representative would work best to our interests?
People do look back even at the most benign of bandwagons, and they always focus on the first and last few voters. I guess coming in second with a solid ground of reasoning and fairly calm air would allow us to slip by undetected while furthering the possibility of an innocent (or if we're *very* lucky, the seer... though I highly doubt it) will be killed. Either a later voter or the representative themselves.

I definately agree with getting the representatives to attack one another, or at least become so bogged in analyzing each other that they will cause mass confusion amoung their supporters (when a 'reasonable' bandwagon will look like a safe haven, thus keeping all the fish in one or more pots). Not only will it be hilarious, but it'll be less time and worry on us if they take up all the hard work in killing one another.
(I know I sent a PM too at some point, but apparently I didn't save it...)