View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #9
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm not sure I consider "better" to be useful terminology, personally, because that implies some standard of measurement that just doesn't exist. If it's which I prefer I would have to say The Lord of the Rings in terms of detail alone. I think a world where the narratives of The Silmarillion were as detailed as The Lord of the Rings would be no bad thing though.

I think I would enjoy The Children of Hśrin more if it included "The Wanderings of Hśrin" as an epilogue to the narrative but that's purely personal preference.

I think if there was any narrative of The Silmarillion I would like to see treated with the same detail it would be The Voyage of Eärendil, because like The Lord of the Rings it deals with the end of an Age.

That being said, as a tragedy and as a part of the larger whole I find The Children of Hśrin to be a very intriguing instalment for the very reason that it's not on the same scale as The Lord of the Rings - indeed a more comparable narrative might almost be The Hobbit in terms of its scope, yet radically different in tone, a testament to Professor Tolkien's masterful talents.