View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 11:38 AM   #48
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Here's the first post. I don't actually get to anywhere but I'm heading to civilisation! By the way, for a picture of Telp, just think random Lothlorien elf in the film!
###############

The figure slipping through the trees would have been missed by most eyes, his deep green cloak blending with the light and shade of leafy branches. He walked slowly, enjoying the forest, occasionally stopping to lay his hands on a trunk. After a few hours he sat down and leant against an overgrown root, reaching into his pack to get out some food. He pushed back the hood of his cloak revealing a face which, for a man, might have been guessed at 25 or so, as well as long blonde hair and pointed Elven ears. His grey eyes looked thoughtful as he ate, and he sighed once or twice.

Telpeheled had been wandering without seeing anyone for almost a year, deep into Fangorn Forest. Before that he had spent almost a century in the city of Dol Amroth in Gondor, but they had many skirmishes with Corsairs which distressed him. He had planned to visit again the Rohirrim in Edoras, for their strength and beauty was widely famed, but they were a warlike people even in the relative peace that Arda was enjoying. Despite the sword at his belt Telpeheled was unwilling to fight except in greatest need. Although his skills had often saved the lives of innocent people, it was the lives he had cut short that stuck with him. Sometimes in his waking dreams he thought he saw them, calling to him. Trees may not be as interesting as quick thinking, quick living mortal men, but they did not expect him to draw his sword.

Telpeheled had hoped that he might meet the famed tree herders, the Ents, in Fangorn for he had heard much about them in his former home in Lothlorien but so far there had not been a sign. The face designed for smiling had been pensive for a while, and solitude was beginning to grate.

Turning with a smile he addressed the tree. "I thank you for your hospitality, but I believe that even in a forest such as yours a being may long for conversation. And so, I bid you goodbye"
With an elaborate bow he picked up his pack and began to walk towards Rohan. He chuckled as he went.
Talking to trees? he thought There's a number of people who have called you mad, and you come close to proving them right sometimes!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link