View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 07:42 AM   #127
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Dúlrain

Dúlrain quickly scanned the note and set the sketched map to memory, "Let's go to Ferney's house," he said passing the note back to Maethor, that he too could read it. As they waited for Bob to bring Maethor's horse from the stables, he turned to see Maethor gingerly rubbing his aching jaw, "You fared well my friend, at least we know the elf maiden is alive and Barrold has a few less teeth," he quipped, but a small trace of guilt laced his voice. His reunion with Kaldir could have easily cost him another friend, silently he thanked Eru that luck seemed to be with him or her, but the feeling that he had now let down two of his brethren did not pass.

Just then, Bob brought out the rangers stallion, Maethor mounted with ease and the pair rode in silence, each with his own thoughts. Dúlrain, could not stop thinking on the words of his old friend, your friend is dead! However, he was not and Dúlrain knew he had failed his friend, breaking their oath and he could not tear the guilt from his mind, "he should hate me,” he whispered "I failed him!" he sighed heavily, drawing a puzzled look from his companion.

"Are you all right?" Maethor asked concerned, but Dúlrain pushed the thoughts aside and grinned at his companion "It is I that should be concerned about you my friend" he laughed lightly, "How are you feeling?"

"My jaw still aches a little, but the Drowsiness is beginning to lift... I... am still worried about the elf maiden, she was clearly terrified of her captors." he sighed.

"Have heart my friend, if they took the trouble to retrieve her, they must have some need of her..." "Or they fear Naiore enough not to let her go!" Maethor cut in, Dúlrain nodded his agreement ruefully and they went on further in silent reflection.

"You weren't the only one to meet a pretty lady today," he smiled trying to lighten the mood, "Oh, so that's where you were!" Maethor laughed raising an eye in mock surprise.

"Oh, it was nothing like that!” he gasped, “She was the wife of an old friend,” he quickly explained, but his cheeks flushed feverently regardless.

"When I first saw her shrouded in the heavy veils of a southern woman I thought perhaps it was Naiore..." he paused suddenly not wishing to tell of finding Kaldir alive until they where all together, for surely they would all wish to know that their Brethren was alive after so many years. "But as she revealed herself I knew my mistake." he continued and without even realizing he began to describe the southern woman to the ranger. “Her Kohl lined eyes made her large dark amber eyes stand out under her long lashes. A silver chain that ran from her left ear across her olive cheek to her left nostril only added to her beauty.” He smiled turning back to his companion.

"Your friend sounds like a lucky man to have such a beautiful wife.” Maethor grinned, stirring uncomfortably in his saddle. Dulrain again thought of Kaldir and guilt gripped him yet again, he could not deny that he had felt something as the woman had held his gaze. However, she was his friend’s wife. Therefore, what ever he had felt would just have to remain a pleasant memory.

"Yes, he is" he replied smiling, glad that at least his friend was not alone in what ever ailed him.

The two rangers fell into light and casual conversation as they continued towards Barrolds house. They checked their horses at the rill with the others and dismounted to see their fellows conversing in the yard of the old ram shackled building.

"Come friend" he smiled, "let us see if our friends have fared any better." some of his good hearted and confident nature returning.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Léspheria

“But we must now decide which course to take, to follow Vanwe on the trail we see before us, or to continue after Naiore with no trail. But that is our errand."

Léspheria could feel Rauthain waiting for one of them to answer, and as she looked up from her thoughts, she could see concern in his broad face, from the corner of her eye she could see Amandur deep in thought, considering what course to take. Léspheria could see no other course but the one before her.

"Naiore has gone to great trouble and at great risk to herself, to retrieve her daughter, I do not believe she would give that prize up so readily!" she exclaimed taking both rangers in her steady gaze.

She could feel Amandur's surprise as he followed her reasoning, only days ago had she been angered with Amandur's revelation that the rangers were using Vanwe to find Naiore. "If we follow Vanwe's captors they will inevitably lead us to Naiore." Amandur spoke to Rauthain, and she nodded her agreement, as the older ranger looked her way.

The damage had been done Vanwe was already in danger and by following this trail they may yet be able to free the young elf from her captors, "it is better this trail than none at all" she pressed seeing the hint of doubt in Rauthain's pale grey eyes.

"Then it is settled, as soon as the others return we will follow the hired hands to their mistress." Amandur stated, then almost as if on queue Dúlrain and Maethor walked briskly up the path towards them.

Léspheria lightly stepped aside allowing the rangers to rejoin their brothers. Her gaze strayed eastward towards her valley home and she wondered if the elves had yet told the unstable elf that he had a daughter. A part of her hoped that they had, “a little light in his darkness,” she whispered softly into the warm easterly breeze. However, a bigger part of her feared that the elf might just forsake his kin’s protection and go looking for the child. She sighed heavily; none could tell what went through the mind of that one? A genius on the edge of insanity, she thought wearily.

Turning back she lightly caught up to the four rangers, frowning slightly when she saw the blackish/blue bruising along Maethor's jaw, "What happened!" she asked, searching her satchel for the appropriate oil to relieve the ache and reduce the swelling.

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-12-2004 at 07:32 PM.