View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 08:32 AM   #12
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oops! It seems my post was very cryptic. In addition I have a bit misread Mithadans firstpost. But any way, I will try to explain it beter this time.

What Mithadan reffered to in his post #1 was the following passage from the introduction of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil:
Quote:
... No. 14 also depends on the lore of Rivendell, Elvish and Númenorean, concerning the heroic days at the end of the First Age; it seems to contain echoes of the Númenorean tale of Turin and Mim the Dwarf.
No. 14 reffered to in the quote is named The Hoard, and is given in Maédhros post #11.
"The tale of Turin and Mim" is clearly a reference to the Turin Saga, meaning the story of of Húrins children in a general sense not any particular version of it. My misreading was now that I did only associate "Númenorean tale" with the wider sense of "manish tradtion" not with the restricted one of "númenorean tradition". In view of this I wanted to add the fact, that how ever the Narn was traded, it had in Tolkiens view an manish author. That fact can be learned from The History of Middle-Earth; volume 11: The War of the JEwels; part 3: The Wanderings of Húrin and other writings not forming part of the Quenta Silmarillion; chapter II: Ælfwine and Dírhaval.
Nonthless does that not contradict the point that Mithadan did make: The Introduction of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil provide us with a clear statment, that the Turin Saga was preserved in a númenorean tradition.
But in view of what The Hoard says one must wonder if the "Númenorean Tale of Turin and Mim" was really that acurate. Looking in addition to the later statments in Ælfwine and Dírhaval I wonder if their were not other traditions of the Turin Saga that were beter preserved than the "Númenorean Tale".
Also the Intorducion said that it "depends on the lore of Rivendell, Elvish and Númenorean". Is that not a statment, that there were Elvish tradtions of the end of the First Age in Rivendell that some Hobbits did learn from?

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote