View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Pile O'Bones

Voronwë_the_Faithful has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings!

Hi folks. Yes Voronwë the Faithful does in fact equal Douglas Kane, and Arda Reconstructed is in fact, my book.

gondowe, to answer your question, no I did not have access to the original manuscripts, only the material published in HoMe, UT, CoH, LotR, Letters, and Words, Phrases, and Passages, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
I wonder particularly about the "inserts that seemed initially to have been editorial inventions shown to have come from some remote portion of Tolkien's vast body of work".
Aiwendil, examples of that type of thing include a few passages that were taken directly from things included in BOLT that never reappeared, things taken from different essays like Quendi and Eldar, Of Dwarves and Men, the Shibboleth, the Problem of Ros, etc., and passages that were moved from different places (e.g., passages from the Grey Annals inserted into parts of the story that otherwise were covered in the Annals of Aman and the corresponding portion of the Quenta, and otherwise moved around in strange ways). And in one case a passage that seems to have been derived from one the Letters.

Hope that helps. If any of you are Mythlore subscribers there will be a review of the book in the upcoming issue, and there also will be one in this years Tolkien Studies. And you can get more information about the book at www.arda-reconstructed.com

Hookbill, I was disappointed that the publisher set the list price so high, but the reason was that the extensive tables tracing the source material were very time-consuming to set. But I do think those tables provide a very valuable recourse, particularly for this group of folks! And at least Amazon is selling it at a significant discount of 28%.

Cheers to all!

Last edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful; 04-22-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Voronwë_the_Faithful is offline   Reply With Quote