View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 4 - Chapter 09 - Shelob’s Lair

One of the things I noticed right from the start in this chapter is the role that darkness plays - that, and the constant presence of the characteristic smell. Both elements are described several times, showing the increasing proximity of danger for Frodo and Sam. However, even had they known the nature of the danger, they had no choice but to go on. Gollum’s absence leaves them without any orientation, but their strength and heroism are shown, all the more impressive because of the bleakness of their situation.

They find help in the objects they carry with them – Galadriel’s phial, the sword Sting, and the staff given by Faramir. It is used rather differently than intended here, and Sam’s staff at least ends up breaking, but it also saves his life. Having been more aware of it and its function through our discussion this time, I have resolved to keep my eyes open for any mention of Frodo's staff in the coming chapters. Did anyone else notice that Galadriel’s name seems to daunt Shelob more than Eärendil’s does? And Sting is definitely more effective, shown by the cutting of the web, than Sam’s “normal” sword.

Shelob is described and her history told – what do you find most interesting or scary about her?

Gollum’s treachery is shown by his separation of the two hobbits through his attack on Sam. He has succeeded in finding a way to keep the letter of his promise in letting Shelob kill Frodo, while he takes care of Sam.

This is definitely one of the most exciting chapters of the book, full of action, and those who found the Frodo and Sam plotline boring earlier are sure to have rejoined us by now. Tell us what you think of the descriptions, characters, and happenings!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote