View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #2166
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Hope my post is alright, Legate! And I'll look at picking up one of the soldier NPCs as a sort of secondary character. I really enjoy how you include the various personalities all yourself, though I feel kind of bad that you aren't getting much interaction with just a whole group that basically you have so far written for (though beautifully) by yourself. And that you have been stuck carrying them all along really by yourself. If you know what I mean?

My brain isn't working too well...hopefully my post on the in-character thread makes more sense than this one......
Perfect, Dury! I was thinking about that too - though for the time being I am fine enough with having them as background "reply pitchers". I was using them mainly so that we don't forget them and their original at least basic character traits (the little that's been shown - funnily enough only one of them was originally introduced by me). I think it's not a problem to be carrying the guys around by myself now - it was suitable for me and right now the situation is fitting for that, I think (and hope) that in the future when the people in Scarburg start to interact more and get out of their distinctive "class bubbles", there will be interaction of everybody with everybody (well, at least more or less).

I think the main "problem" (but it's not really been that big of a problem this far) for me so far was that Hilderinc is somewhat alone in his "box", as all the others can interact with other people from similar rank or "cathegory", so that was one reason for me why to write for those NPC soldiers a lot more, because there are no player characters of the same "class" as Hilderinc. As normally others can interact with each other - "new" nobles with "old" nobles, "old" peasant folk among themselves, and the high-ranking soldiers can interact to a certain extent with both (thus being "transitive"), yet Hilderinc, being basically the only one who is both new AND not noble (with the exception of Groin's new character - but even he is of somehow different class, he's a "mere" peasant, where Hilderinc is a pure soldier) had this far somewhat more limited chances of interaction. But I think that's just for the beginning and I expect that it will change especially after tomorrow's training, where the local men will get to know Hilderinc better (and he gets to know them), and also possibly after other activities which people of both the "new" and "old" Mead Hall will be doing together. The nobles had to interact with each other already, but the common folk effectively didn't as much yet, so that's still to come.

That said, I will post a reply for Hilderinc soon (during a few hours, hopefully).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories