View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 12:34 PM   #377
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ayeth and Gudryn had risen swiftly and followed after Saeryn, with not a little movement from Dégas towards them, but Garreth and Harreld held firm in his path, each somewhat anxious to outdo the other in terms of firmness of resolve, particularly as the girls' eyes, and there was some needling of elbows which ended only with Falco’s grunt of satisfaction when his pipe was relit. He seemed to place great stock in the power of pipeweed smoke to defeat this surly twin enemy of the young lady Saeryn.

However, Maercwen's good manners drew more than just the attention of Bethberry. The courtesy of her deportment and her civil manner brought a calmness into the Great Hall.

"This might be a fair time to share some drink and bread. Perhaps you can ask our new arrival, the young man Dégas, if he wishes to order anything. He must be thirsty after his hard ride and long searching.”

Dégas took a step back as he surmised that this woman standing before him was actually the Innkeeper. For some time he was tongue-tied in amazement. How could it be, he thought, that a decorous, respectable looking woman would be so brazen these days, as to submit to such a common occupation. He feared even more for his sister then, brought into such boon companionship. But what was he to say? He cleared his throat and stood erect.

“Madam, you see that I am unacquainted with certain parts of Edoras and persons of the community who do not appear before the Golden Hall and finer parts of the city. You must allow me to make amends for my discourtesy in not understanding your standards of deportment. While I myself am not inclined to partake of drink in this establishment, allow me to buy a round of ale for all present.” He bowed stiffly.

“Cor, what a bl…” began Falco.

“Oh, young gentleman, you are rudely mistaken if you think that we are low folk here,’ spoke up Maercwen, quite incensed by the high airs of the lad. “Some of us have attended musical performances at the Hall, and the court bard did stay with us and the Lady Eowyn herself has graced our fine hall.” She spoke with more firmness in her eyes than she had the day previously when speaking to Garreth and Harreld, but she could not stand to see such denigration of the Horse.

“No wonder the lass ran from you,” intoned Eodwine.