Thread: Swan Wood - RPG
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2003, 05:48 PM   #103
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Annunfuin groped his way in the dreadful darkness. He crawled forward, ever forward seeking for something but knowing not what. There was no sound, no smell, no light to follow: yet he had to continue.

Suddenly he saw something white shining ahead. Anguish and regret pierced his heart. Bittersweet was it now for him to get his senses back: discover the familiar scent of lavender floating in the air; see the dear figure in the dim light, the beauty that always took his breath away; feel the soft skin under his trembling fingers. But cold she was and pale as the white robe she was wearing.

“Linnewyn!”

But gone was her smile and her singing voice. Old wounds were torn open. Annunfuin kneeled down beside his beloved and drew her into his arms. His tears fell silently into the golden cloud of her hair. “Linnewyn, I came too late…”

“So you did - again” spoke a cold voice from above; “You came too late and now she is dead.” Surprised, Annunfuin raised his eyes at another familiar figure.

“Why are you here, M’lady? And what do you mean - again?”

“You should have protected her!” the old woman exclaimed; “But look at her now…”

Annunfuin looked down to his lap and his mouth opened to a soundless scream. The curls spreading over his arms were no longer golden but deep brown. Great green eyes stared straight at him. But those eyes were dimmed, they couldn’t see. Annunfuin watched and Death watched back.

‘Too late...late....late.....’

“Laurel!!!”

“Laurel!!!” Annunfuin cried and sprang up in his bed. A wild, almost mad gaze blazed in his eyes. He was sickly pale save for the feverish spots on his cheeks. Every inch of his body ached but only after he felt a sharp twinge in his right leg did he truly come to himself.

Laurel woke up to a horrified scream. It seemed to come from somewhere afar and through thick mists of dream it flowed into her consciousness. Then her eyes flew open and she was wide awake: the voice had called out her name! Laurel looked at her right and saw Annunfuin sitting on the bed next to hers. The Gondorian was upset but presently Laurel was too glad to notice that.

“Annunfuin!” she called and, aiding with her sound hand, she slowly pulled herself to a sitting position. Though she didn’t know it almost twelve hours had passed since she had last been awake and her recovery had advanced quickly. The tearing pain was gone though she could still feel her wounds with every heartbeat.

Gradually she stood up and leaned heavily to the wall. The room spun in her eyes for a while but settled down quite quickly. Still supporting herself on the wall she walked the few steps to Annunfuin’s bed and reached for his hand.

“Everything is fine, I’m here. Annunfuin, look at me!”

Annunfuin heard Laurel’s demanding yet kindly voice and slumped back down to his pillows sighing with relief. Laurel wasn’t dead. Miracles, or more likely Annanoldowen’s skilful hands, had been at work. Have I slumbered for days? For how else could she be up already? Annunfuin had to wonder while he eyed her and tried to smile.

“Laurel…” he whispered, now barely audibly. Little by little the horror of the dream eased its grip of him and he felt suddenly weary beyond all measure. But seeing Laurel’s green eyes, now bright and vivid, observing him with anxiety Annunfuin remembered the wild look he had lastly seen in them, amid the battle. I must talk with her – now!

“Laurel” he began again, struggling to get some strength into his voice; “I beg You to listen to me now, though I know You would let no man, not even the King! give these words to you were he standing before You.” Annunfuin paused and breathed sharply to keep back the dark haze that tried to veil his sight. No feelings could be read from Laurel’s withdrawn face.

“But I am more like a travesty of a man and hold no power over You; nor am I standing before You but lie here like a helpless old fool. Therefore I dare to ask as your low servant: ‘Hear me and heed my counsel!’” Annunfuin spoke now in haste for he felt time was flying past him;

“What I saw before… Was that the way Your father taught You to fight?” Silence fell between them in the empty room. Annunfuin nodded slightly; “That is what I thought for no man would teach his children how to get killed in their first battle! Your father was a wise man and I know You haven’t forgotten his words and advice. So follow them, everywhere, every time – there are no exceptions.” A shadow of agony passed over Annunfuin’s face as he turned and looked at Laurel. Her head was bowed and her eyes lowered. Annunfuin reached out and took her hand;

“Your heart is still kindly and pure. Don’t let hatred and revenge overpower You! For then the enemy has won and You have become their kind with black heart and morbid soul." Annunfuin's voice trailed off into a whisper; "Don’t follow them to the darkness…" And Laurel’s hand slipped from his inert fist.

[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]