Thread: Elfish?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2001, 02:29 PM   #9
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, just from a quick glance at the Fellowship (handy, near the PC) Tolkien seems to use 'elvish' for the language and script (ie as a noun) and 'elven' for other references, (ie as an adjective). For example, the writing on the ring: "the letters are Elvish", Bilbo saying "I thought you knew enough Elvish at least to know Dúnedan". Gandalf speaks "many single words of Elvish speech" while trying to open the Doors at Moria. There are many other references too. <BR>But at the doors to Moria, Gandalf mentions the "elven-way from Hollin" and the decorations being in the "elven-tongue". There are also uses of elven in other places like "Here's a pretty hobbit skin to wrap an elven-princeling in", "Gil-galad was an elven-king" and so on.<P>It seems to me that Tolkien made a clear distinction between 'elvish' as a noun and 'elven' as an adjective. (Though I found 'elvin' as well, I think it may be a misprint - "an elvin maid there was of old, a shining star by day..." sang in the Lothlorien chapter.)<p>[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Elanor ]