View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #474
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
You made me me smile too with the thought!

Mithalwen, you have the right idea on what might irritate, and plan not to do it, so why not stroll by? I agree with Esty that it is better to go while you have the chance, than to kick yourself later for not having done so! Just a word of caution though, it would be unadvisable to dress like a cat burglar or in M-E costume as it might arouse suspicion.

Nice to see you back Alphaelin!

Well you know..... it was such a nice evening on Friday and with the post gone no more could be done re the dead line so I drove the mile or so and had a look. And well ..... the house is fairly hideous but no more so than many bungalows of it's era, and I know that such (since they are very common in these parts) often compensate for their exteriors by spacious and practical interiors and the location well perhaps I should explain? The area is a seaside resort that became popular as a retirement resort. The conversion of the local college into a Unihas brought in more youngsters but basically there are so many old people around here that the shop windows are bifocal. Despite the recent tendancy to demolish 1 house and build 2 or more in its place, it is an area of mainly leafy suburbs with pockets of deprivation in betweeen the sea and proper countryside (New Forest/ Hardy's Wessex). The Tolkien's bungalow is on the fringes of Canford Cliffs where the property prices are teh highest in the country (if you are american, the equivalent might be the Hamptons or Boca Raton?). Tolkien's house is perhaps the humblest on the road but all things are relative.. there are a couple of architect designed houses which are probably worth squillions... which face the sea but Tolkien's backs on to Branksome chine, which could almost be a mini Rivendell. A steep tree lined gully, very peaceful and pretty in the sunshine and with the sea and view of the Island just the other side (or down the road).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote