View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 02:13 PM   #51
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Radagast wore no sword like his companions prefering to use his staff and weild it in hand to hand combat. The combat over, he now leaned upon it and wiped sweat from his brow with the cuff of his robe. "How fairs the songsmith?" He enquired of Rothalle. "I have a little of a healing herb at my belt which should restore her with its intense smell." He wearily staggered to the maid's side and fumbled in the purse that hung upon his belt. Two, small dried leaved were eventually procured for the purpose of rousing her.

"Why didn't you use that on me?" Faye gasped.

"Two meagre leaves of this sage would not have even twitched your nostrils Valar-Hobbitess. It may yet do as little for Calentoliel." The wizard pushed his hat back from his face and leaned over the girl. Carefully he placed the strong smelling leaves beneath her nose. She twitched, she sneezed, she was back with them again. Rothalle brushed her hair away from her face and patted her cheek.

"Welcome back Calentoliel. When you feel ready I must encourage you to your feet. Mattius will move us on very soon." She said, smiling down upon her.

"Yes, I will." Mattius added. "We cannot stay here. There may not be a single orc left alive from this patrol but how many more follow in their wake we cannot tell."

"As always the boy talks good sense." Radagast sighed as he pulled himself back to standing with the aid of his staff. "I know it will be a bind to you Mattius and perhaps a bind yet to all of us but let us wrap up Borin's body and bare it with us. I would like to see him honestly buried and not left as carrion surrounded by these creatures. Besides, before we bury him I would like to make a thorough examination of his body. Who knows what secrets he may yet share with us despite loss of his voice. For such actions I will need daylight."

Ender made a face of disgust. "I have every agreement with burying him. He was a hero. I don't entirely agree with your other suggestion Radagast. It just doesn't seem an honourable thing to do."

"I disagree," said Rothalle. "Radagast has the highest respect for us all. He seeks the truth and with such knowledge we can exact revenge for the death of Borin." She had also risen to her feet. Calentoliel's head leaning upon her shoulder but although weak concious and listening to the debate.

Mattius listened carefully to the trees and the night air. He considered Radagast's suggestion. He took a deep breath and declared his intention. "What ever passes we must be gone from this place. Let us wrap Borin's body and bare it away with us for a hero's funeral. We shall decide if Radagast's plan is appropriate in the cool, rational light of morning."

So it was agreed by the companions. The dwarf was bound in their largest blanket and tied with rope and as such was born between Mattius and Radagast with as much state as a flight through the woods would allow. Behind them walked Faye, Calentoliel supported by Rothalle and finally Endereth, leading Rothalle's horse with one hand and holding her blade in the other.