View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 04:17 PM   #52
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And so it was that in the fresh bitterness of the dawning day the group shivered together around a crude fire to discuss Radagast's idea of a post mortem. For a few minutes they sat in silence before Radagast spoke.
"Friends," he began, "I know this is a very difficult subject to discuss but that does not mean we should forget about it. Borin has died an awful, awful death and he deserves a hero's funeral." Radagast paused before continuing. "However, I believe it to be of the upmost importance that we check his body for any clues that may help us." There was silence again. Calentoliel had a glaring look in her eyes but she kept her head down. She hated dwarves and thought to herself 'why such as fuss for a mere dwarf', yet for the time being she held her tongue. Mattius finally spoke after much silence.
"Perhaps we should vote on such a move, is everyone okay with that?" The group nodded to him. "Okay then, who is in favour of a check of Borin's body before we bury him?" Slowly Rothalle and Radagast raised their hands. Endereth looked at Calentoliel who kept her hands down. Ender did likewise. Faye raised her hand next as did Mattius.
"Then it is settled," said Rothalle, "four to two. But may I ask you why you two oppose such a move?" she frowned at Calentoliel, as if dissapointed in her.
"It is a sign of dis-respect," said Ender.
"And you, Calntoliel?" asked Rothalle. The young maiden remained quiet for a while thinking what to say. Inside, she hated dwarves and wished them all dead but she did not want to upset the group and, she thought, Borin did help them when they were in trouble.
"I just don't like the idea of it, thats all," she said at long last.

Radagast rose to his feet and lent on his staff.
"Rothalle, this act must be done as soon as possible, I will need your help for this." Rothalle was looking at Calentoliel who was walking near by with Endereth and Faye. Rothalle spoke but did not take her eyes off Calentoliel.
"I am sorry Radagast but I must speak with her." Radagast looked surprised.
"So, do you think it is time to tell her?" he asked.
"Maybe," she replied as she stood up and walked away. Mattius, who was sat listening to this conversation, was beginning to get confused. He was going to ask Radagast but the old wizard spoke first.
"Come on my lad, I can not do this deed alone." Mattius stood up next to him and looked at his face.
"I will do this, although it may upset me greatly."
"I understand," replied Radagast as he led him off towards the bundle of blankets that contained Borin Iceplate's last remains.

Enderth watched them walking together. She wondered how many years older Radagast was than Mattius and yet they seemed to have an understanding of one and other. She watched them as together they lifted the weight and took Borin's body out of sight.