View Single Post
Old 10-01-2002, 04:00 PM   #53
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"We tamper with nothing. We show no disrespect." Radagast explained as they lay the body down on the turf some distance from the others. Vapour rose from his mouth in the cold morning air.

Mattius merely nodded. He had agreed that the old wizard must do as he thought best but still felt uncomfortable with the act.

Radagast lifted the cover and kneld down beside Borin. He addressed the corpse directly. "Please accept my humblest apologies for this dear, good dwarf. It will take but a moment or two and then we shall send you to a better place as befits a warrior such as you.
Come now Mattius," he changed his tone to speak to his companion. "I wish to check if this was the attack of Beast or Orc. What signs would you expect if you came upon the body of one who had been savaged?"

Mattius leaned over and looked at the still Borin. "His insides are gouged as if a beast attacked him."

"I know it pains you dear boy but look closer. Look how even the slashes are. Some implement did this." He held up Borin's cold hand to the light. "And see beneath his finger nails. A few long hairs, no fur. I'll keep these. They may yet prove useful. There's many a bruise but I cannot tell from whence they came. I am but an old man, prodding about in the dark. Either the beast took on a warrior's form when it attacked our good friend or it has others in league with it." He rose to his feet and waved his arms about himself in frustration.

"Do we tell the others of your discoveries?" Mattius enquired.

"Discoveries, bah. I have found out he was murdered. We knew that last night!" There was no disguising the torment in the old one's voice. "Let's be having him. It will only be a shallow grave as the ground is almost frozen but I'll rustle up some incantations that will protect his body from becoming carrion for goblins. I'll tell our fellows my skeletal information. I do wonder how the orcs came upon the body though. Are they involved? Does the Beast weild some power over them? Oh bother, every day brings further questions to my tired mind Mattius Man Elf. Come, my task is done. Badly, but done."