View Single Post
Old 10-12-2002, 05:19 AM   #68
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Gather up your belongings my stiff and wearing companions. I think it is time we struck out from this woodland. The sun is up and steams the night's rain away. Today feels promising indeed." Perhaps it was the night's rest that had made Radagast feel more energised than he had been for weeks or even months or perhaps because he looked upon the others and saw the tiredness in their eyes and knew it was his turn to guide them. Mattius was their leader and Radagast was well aware that he would yet fulfill his destiny. He had watched him with the sword a few moments ago and for a second had seen another in his place. Radagast smiled. Even though he had no understanding as yet of the greater picture, he knew why Mattius was there. He stretched purposefully and turned away from their night camp. "I hope you are all in the mind for walking."
"Where are you taking us Radagast?" Faye asked.
"To stay with old friends."
"I wasn't aware we had any," muttered Calentoliel. "If this means more dwarves I won't be best pleased."
Endereth smiled at her. "As long as he isn't taking us to the Beast's parlour I care not."
They followed the old wizard, striding with purpose through the trees. The sun lit up the moisture in the air in beams between the branches, birds burst into song high above them and the smell of the earth as they stepped upon it was rich and satisfying. It didn't feel like a heavy march at all even though Radagast kept up a steady pace for them. Mattius walked behind him, his eyes scanning for danger at every step. Faye scampered along behind him, watching her companions as much as she did the woods about her. Rothalle and Calentoliel walked side by side where the path permitted it and whispered quietly together as they led the horse behind them. Endereth protected the rear but was locked in her own thoughts about the visitation she had, had and the sighting in the trees and therefore noticed far less than she should.
It was midday when they reached the woodland fence and stepped out into a large expanse of grassland, punctuated with small oval hills. Rothalle's horse pushed itself to the front and began to crop the fresh green turf.
"I do not recommend we cross this land although our aim is over there," Radagast explained and waved is staff diagonally across the meadows in front of them.
"Quite right," said Faye. "It's far too open, we could never hide from the beast if it came upon us there."
"Then again we'd definately see it coming." Endereth pointed out.
"Somehow I don't think it's the beast you have in mind Radagast." Mattius whispered to the old man who stood at his shoulder.
Radagast smiled. "Perhaps, it is living creatures that have always been my duty. Let us say I have no duties here." He whispered in return.
"We will keep to the forest boundary. You may find that to be somewhat like being between a rock and a hard place as we continue but is the best I can offer you." He announced and turned to the left to lead them toward the location he had indicated with his staff.
"I get the feeling this part of the journey isn't going to be as pleasant as this morning," sighed Faye.