View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 05:09 PM   #72
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

As the last thin line of the warm sun slipped over the horizon, Ender swallowed hard. "Of all the accursed places we could have been caught in at nightfall, this is by far the worst in the western regions of the world," she whispered to Rothalle.
"Why is that?" the woman whispered back.
Ender glanced about as the twilight folded on them like a dragon of deep blue hue stretching its vast wing over the land. The crickets sang in the bushes all about them. The place was riddled with malicious spirits that feared sunlight. That much she had heard. Finally, Ender turned back to Rothalle. "You would regret it greatly if ever you found out," she said, "As would I. Just be sure to keep close to your companions. We must never separate."
After that Rothalle said no more. Both she and Ender walked in front, their cloaks drawn tight about them, each with one hand clutching her hilt. Mattius had gone to talk to Radagast for the moment and they continued to trudge through the area quietly.

Everyone was startled by the sound of Radagast's voice booming out into the night. "Let us rest here for the moment," said he. They complied soundlessly, and as Ender searched in her pocket for a shard of flint, she was careful to keep a close eye on her companions. Finally, Calentoliel brought enough dry wood for a short fire. Ender struck the flint and the fire sparked. She took comfort in its light and warmth though she showed little, if any, emotion on her face. "Now," said Radagast, "let me count thy heads. I see one, two, three, four and five, including myself. But there should be six of us."
Ender's stomach lurched. "Oh no..."
Everyone looked about apprehensively, fearing the worst. But whoever was missing should have seen their fire...
Finally, Faye spoke in a timid, frightened voice. "Where is Mattius?"