View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 02:36 PM   #79
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The night wore on and Rothalle found herself jolted awake as she hit the ground with a thud. She had slid sideways into sleep but where Mattius should have been to prop her upright there was a gap. She felt around her on the wet grass, the darkness so complete she could not even see her own outstretched hand. She panicked that she was left alone and grabbed about her wildly.
"Ouch, what is that?" Olo yelped, still sat in his place and until that moment dozing.
"Rothalle, is that you hobbit?"
"Aye, you're the dark one ain't ye? Where's that nice young man who were lookin' after me?"
"I don't know, there's a gap here where he should be sitting. Here, hold the hem of my cloak while I feel for the others." Olo did as Rothalle bid and she turned to feel in the opposite direction. Endereth and Faye were soon roused. Neither of them had seen Mattius either. Nor heard him in that silent place, but like Rothalle and Olo they too had fallen into a deep sleep. Eventually they worked round the whole ring, each holding onto the next until they were all accounted for but Mattius.
Radagast merely sighed. "So it has come to pass, then?"
"What has, and where is he?" asked Ender.
"It is not of our concern at present no matter how much danger he may be in. We must stay solidly here until dawn's light illuminates this plain again or all will be lost. We will then call upon my friends and make a thorough search. Although it pains me to say it, we can do no more for Mattius at present. He is armed and of stout heart. All we can do is hope those attributes are enough."
Calentoliel made an odd noise, her voice still denied her and knowing that Mattius' blade lay upon the forest floor."