View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #67
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Hey, nice ones, G55! Interesting to read this (also especially because I can understand most of that, and so get the impression it probably gives to a reader...).
I could understand most of your Czech translations too! It's funner when you can take a good guess at what the meaning is.

Quote:
Well, it would be a sort of... diminutive, right? It is very similar (and if you look at the first page, I think I've written it there) to the Czech name, which is Zlatěnka... in fact totally the same word (I wonder if some link in inspiration exists here?).
I guess it's diminutive... I don't know how it's called in Enlish...

And Goldberry's name in Russian is literally the same as Czech. Weird!

Quote:
Now this is really interesting - is it, like, really instead of Rohan? Or instead of "Riddermark"? Or something? I wonder what made them to do that, anyway. And the second word is really peculiar. Maybe something made from some obscure parts of the language?
It could come from some root that I don't recognize. One of the reasons that the name had to be changed was because Rohan just sounds too un-Rohanny and un-Tolkienny in Russian (and would probably be more associated with Genghis Khan than anything else) . "Mustangrim" sounds Tolkien enough, and you can associate it with horses, so it makes sense.

Quote:
Curious, but they didn't change Elrond, did they?
Hm.