Thread: Saruman's Pits
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #19
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I pictures Isengard as already being all industrialized when Gandalf came there, but at the same time I thought that a lot of this industry happened underground, both literally and figuratively. I always pictured the pits as having some cover on top, at least partially or temporarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
I don't see it happening in just two months, even given a limitless workforce of Uruk-hai - and then the U-H themselves would have taken considerable time to breed (no, they weren't spawned in mud-cocoons, they were gestated and born and had to grow to adulthood).

Saruman had been preparing his move for years.
I must admit that I never articulated a very detailed idea about the pits, and to which extend the different installations were covered or not. However like the above quotations, I am sure that the creation of Isengards military power, would require a lot of resources and means of production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
Perhaps this is a matter of Saruman enveiling the reality of what had happened to Isengard through the power of his voice? By engaging with Gandalf and attempting to convince him of the rightness of his position, he distracted Gandalf from noticing what had actually happened at Isengard. Saruman's power of persuasion and the use of his voice appears to be among his greatest powers.
I think this comes somewhat close to what I imagined, a distraction, something subtle.

I never thought that the main road in Isengard was lined with massive pits or forges, but Isengard is not that big a place, and as I mentioned before a significant industrial capacity would be needed.

Just the simple fact that housing would be needed for a large number of men and orcs, would have considerable impact on the landscape of Isengard.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote