View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 06:38 PM   #179
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The new moon hung low in the night sky, a slim white crescent. Its pale light filtered in through the open porthole, throwing a narrowed band of silver across the bed. Pio stirred in her sleep, and turned over. The sliver of light played across her eyelids, waking her from dreams.

She sat up in the darkness and looked out to sea, watching the light of stars and moon dance on the water. The single cry of a passing gull echoed in the waves and receded. She smiled, and hugged herself, that at this moment was harmony revealed.

A sound from behind surprised her, and she looked to see the source. There by her bed, sat Mithadan. His chin lolled against his chest as he slumped in his chair, asleep. A soft, rhythmic snore now issued from the drowsing Man, punctuated by the soft, rhythmic slap of the waves against the hull. Point and counterpoint wove through the air, delighting her.

She reached for his hand, waking him. 'Pio?' he said groggily. Smiling, she threw back the covers and bade him rest easy beside her. 'Come, My Moon and Stars, cradle me in your arms until the Sun calls us to our task once again.

He turned on his side and pulled her back against him, his arm draped protectively over her. He raised his head and kissed the shell of her ear. 'You taste of the sea.' he murmured softly, a smile playing about his lips as he laid down his head and drifted into dreams.

'Would that I could hold back the day!' she whispered.

She settled against him, then, surrendering to the safety of his presence. Harmony, made whole.

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]