View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #131
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
So, if I follow up the scourge's critique with a glowing review, will that make a difference for you? Or, I can merely offer Neil Gaiman's interview on the Colbert Report. Gaiman was hawking his Newberry Medal-winning children's book 'The Graveyard Book', and Gaiman mentions Tolkien as his major influence. So, you can listen to the drivel of some mall-rat critic spouting Homeric platitudes, or you can rely on a bestselling author. *shrugs*

Oh, and the bit about Tom Bombadil is hilarious...

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/03/18...olbert-report/
Bravo, Morth. I had been wondering where/how to get a link here on the Downs to Gaiman's acknowledgement of Tolkien, and, more particularly, his audacious comments about Bombadil.

What that blog link leaves out, though, was Colbert's other criteria for an illustrator besides being American, one without any sense of hope. Says something about Gaiman's sense of Art Spiegelman that Gaiman suggested him.

It was an intriguing interview, well sparred by both of them.