View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Merry and Pippin

Being more of a fan of the book than the movie, I'm not really partial to the introduction of our two hobbit friends. I admit, however, that in the context of PJs film version, the conspiracy would never have worked. The departure of Frodo and Sam was sudden, so there was never any time for planning it. But I wish that Merry and Pippin had one line stating why they were so determined to stick with Frodo through thick and thin, braving Black Riders and travelling far from home. Even one line, from either of them! At least set up the fact that they were inseparable chums rather than casual acquaintances.

I don't really like the way that two of our heroes are common vege thieves. If it had been up to me, conspiracy aside, I would have had a less hasty exit from Bag End, have Sam spying in daylight (much more likely), and had Merry and Pippin waiting for Frodo and Sam upon the road, having been tipped off by Sam.

As for the brief appearance of Farmer Maggot's hat, I hardly think that it was worth putting in. I don't feel at all placated by having him mentioned by name, and the chapter title recited. PJ assumingly uses this chapter title device to draw in readers of the books, but it never really worked on me, and felt a trifle overused (I can think of five instances in FOTR alone without effort).

The Old Forest, Bombadil and the Barrow Downs

All three of these chapters are inextricably linked. Without the misadventures of the Old Forest, there is little need for a rest stop at Bombadil's house. And without Bombadil, there would be noone to save the hobbits from the Barrow Wight. Lose one of these three chapters, and the other two are critically damaged. So it is with deep regret that I agree with the filmmakers who chose to leave all three out. Although I do greatly miss the Barrow Downs in particular. Frodo's moment of heroism, the treasure of the barrow, the hobbits gaining their swords (having earned them through surviving the peril of the barrow), and Merry's line: "The men of Carn Dūm came on us at night, and we were worsted. Ah! the spear in my heart!".

The Nazgūl

When the Black Rider was peering over the tree root sniffing for hobbitses, and the creepy crawlies came out, I thought that was because the Rider was stirring up the evil creatures. It didn't occur to me that they were themselves frightened! I guess I need to be a little less judgmental of centipedes and spiders.

The Nazgūl being frightened off by a mere noise didn't work for me, because of a seeming inconsistency. They rode down the gatekeeping hobbit well enough, so they are hardly the nervous type. I also found it a bit unlikely that, later on, one is so close to the hobbits but unable to grasp them. The hobbits making it on to the ferry worked well; I think the filmmakers would have been better off trimming some of the pursuit scenes. Especially considering they take place at night, when the Nazgūl are supposed to be at their best.

Bree

I too thought that Bree was overly sinister and unfriendly. I think that overall, the movies show too much evil too early. I realise that the hobbits are now Outside and in considerable danger, but I think that the danger element was too drastically elevated at Bree. It should have been a little discomforting to the hobbits, not completely alien.

Strider

Like many others, I love that shot of Strider as he draws on his pipe and the embers light his eyes up. Pure on-screen magic. I thought that his manhandling of Frodo was out of place, though. PJ wants us to be unsure of his intentions, but then 5 minutes later the hobbits trust him anyway. So I'm not quite sure what was gained by having Strider push Frodo roughly into the room.

I really enjoyed Strider's explanation of who and what the Nazgūl are. Very creepy.