Thread: Durin's Folk
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #11
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
I really like the additions of the sections about the aftermath of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, even though it doesn't strictly concern Durin's Folk. It creates a nice sense of continuity and connectedness with the previous chapters about Rohan and Gondor. Some comments:

1) There is some more information about Dwarven culture in HoME 12: Making of Appendix A (IV) Durin's Folk:

Quote:
As for the men, very many also do not desire marriage, being engrossed in their crafts.> DF-SL-06 <Making of Appendix A {It is then said that} Dwarves marry late, seldom before they are ninety or more, {that} and they have few children (so many as four being rare).{, and continues:} To these they are devoted, often rather fiercely: that is, they may treat them with apparent harshness (especially in the desire to ensure that they shall grow up tough, hardy, unyielding), but they defend them with all their power, and resent injuries to them even more than to themselves. The same is true of the attitude of children to parents. For an injury to a father a Dwarf may spend a life-time in achieving revenge. P{Since the 'kings' or heads of lines are regarded as 'parents' of the whole group, it will be understood how it was that the whole of Durin's Race gathered and marshalled itself to avenge Thror.}>
There needed to be slight editing at the beginning to remove Christopher's editorial insertions. The last sentence spoils the death of Thror, and I think I found a way to integrate it later on:

Quote:
Thráin at once sent messengers bearing the tale, north, east, and west; but it was three years before the Dwarves had mustered their strength. DF-SL-07 <Making of Appendix A Since the 'kings' or heads of lines are regarded as 'parents' of the whole group, {it will be understood how it was that} the whole of Durin's Race gathered and marshalled itself to avenge Thror.> {Durin’s Folk gathered all their host, and t} They were joined by great forces sent from the Houses of other Fathers; for this dishonor to the heir of the Eldest of their race filled them with wrath...
There are a few extra details we can also add from the Making of Appendix A which I think fit nicely:

Quote:
Now they had fair halls in the mountains, and store of goods, and their days did not seem so hard, though in their songs they spoke ever of the Lonely Mountain {far away} DF-SL-08 <Making of Appendix A and the wealth and bliss of the Great Hall and the light of the Arkenstone.>
2) Typo tyme:

Quote:
It was therefore perhaps partly by the malice of the Ring that Thráin after same years ...
"same" should be "some"

Quote:
There he was tormented and the Ring taken from him, and them at last he died.
"them" should be "then"

Quote:
...and the vengeance upon the Dragon the he had inherited...
"the he" should be "that he"
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote