View Single Post
Old 04-21-2002, 01:02 AM   #51
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL...of course we would shudder to think about Orcs 'doing it' but why should they?? If an Orc likes the way he looks, why would he not like it if a female Orc had similar features??
Personally I think that there were not few female Orcs (I cannot remember Tolkien saying anything about numbers??). I do think they stayed away from the fighting though. I also think that although they originally were 'corrupted Elves', they would have to be able to breed....it would be impossible to capture and enslave that many Elves!! I think over time it became normal for a female Orc to have several kids at a time...maybe 3-4 became the norm. I also think that maybe they grew up much faster...there might not be much motherly love so the babies would have to learn to fend for themselves early.
I do not think the Orcs necessarily had harems...I think it more a case of the most desirable women being enticed by the fiercest males...but they took what they could get. I cannot see them being faithful to one spouse can you?? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] If the kids were weaned early, a female Orc could probably have a brood every couple of years...if you do a bit of maths, you can see that they could thus breed much faster than both Elves and humans, even if the method of procreation was similar.
Maybe I am not squeamish enough, but the thought of Orcs having sex does not worry me at all. What did appall me the first time I read it was how Orcs once came about....I would NOT have wanted to be a female, be it Elven or Human and fall into the hands of the Orcs. (but what they do with their own kind, c'est la vie!)