View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 01:22 PM   #34
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> when Legolas said his line about the way is blocked... blah blah blah, he was reading the inscription on the the entrance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, I noticed that, too. Although I don't think a "Tolkien Language Scholar" would be able to read it anymore than any of us would (unless there is a language scholar among us on this thread), because it seems to me that they just made it up, along with the weird Arabic-type writing that the Haradrim supposedly use (seen on the war-paint of the Oliphaunts, for instance).<P>I didn't really have any problem with the 'sticky' line, either. It seemed sort of light in Shelob's Lair, but that's so that we could see what was going on, not for Frodo's benefit. I doubt he had that much light to see by. And yes, like Helen said, when you come upon something mysterious at night in an unfamiliar place outdoors, it's pretty spooky, and logic doesn't exactly set in. Plus, would Frodo truly <B>expect</B> Gollum to lead him into the lair of a giant spider? <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Wow, no one mentioned Denethor's "Can you sing?" line. And Theoden's speech before the Pelennor was stupid. He sounded like a madman. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I had no problem with either of those. Pippin's song was beautiful, and it was a powerful scene. As far as I can see, it shows up some of Denethor's bitterness, and the fact that he might be having inner regrets at sending Faramir to his death (though probably unconcious regrets), so he is agitated to the point of distraction. Or at least that's the way I saw it.<P>As for Theoden's speech, I found that pleasing, and besides, he was a madman, to certain extent. He was battle-fey. I think that PJ does a pretty good job of betraying it when people are fey.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> For me the worst was "Go home Sam". Yeah, sure Mr. Frodo. I'll just skip on back home and trim the hedges till you get back.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I still don't mind the line, but after seeing it twice, I do realize how illogical that really is. Sam has no food, what is he supposed to do and where is he supposed to go? But I think they can both be excused, considering that they are both so upset at that point, and also because of their later actions. The scene works, there's no doubt about that.<p>[ 2:37 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote