View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 03:35 PM   #38
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You're all adressing lines that, although they might not all be Tolkien they add to the tension and emotion of the story. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, I think the ironic thing about PJs version of the story is his over-insistence on dialogue. Numerous complaints have been made about how impossible it is to turn such an epic into a film, but this could have been done more efficiently and effectively with visuals. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Feast on his flesh! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>is <B>absolutely unnecessary</B> since a shot of the Fell Beast perching on Snowmane would have accomplished the same thing but on a deeper and more believable level. Sure, we got to see the beasties picking up horses before. But I think we really missed out by not seeing the ugly beast of the Witch-King perched on top of the King of Rohan's beautiful horse. How could you pass up an opportunity like that? Added tension? I don't think so. Added emotion? What's the name of that emotion that makes you cringe when you hear terrible dialogue? That whole scene is a nightmare. Éowyn wants to save Théoden, but he says: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You already did. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Um... did she? Which part of the movie was that in? Don't give me that "wait for the extended edition" stuff, either. movieÉowyn had absolutely nothing to do with saving movieThéoden. PJ dismissed that idea by simplifying it all to his being possessed by Saruman, thus painting himself into yet another corner that he didn't want to be in. Of course, being a big-time Star Wars fan I did appreciate the homage. It was also nice to hear the classic <I>falling stormtrooper death yell</I>, and I thought it was nice of Gandalf to imitate Jar-Jar Binks with: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Steady! Steady! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>