View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #19
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings! As to the first post that addition is splendid and I'm so glad we don't have to use the scantier version from the Sil77, so thank you for finding that!

As to the timeline, as you say, we have been in agreement until the end of the first age. Going forward, as any person who has studied these things knows, their movements quickly become vague and difficult to follow, but I think that is ok. Like you say, much of their movement is simply implied, and we will not need to actually discuss it in our drafts. For instance, Galadriel crossing over the blue mountains before the sack of Doriath is most likely not something we will include in the draft, simply because there is no textual version of this, it is merely extrapolated from her comments in FotR.
Quote:
- journeys over the mountains with Celeborn (text D, but see next point)
- Galadriel crosses the Hitheaglir alone (text C, while Celeborn returns to Doriath, see next point)
- Celeborn escapes the fall of Doriath (text H, probably we have to add this in the appropriate chapter)
- Galadriel hears late of the summons of Eönwë (text K) and returns to Beleriand (where we would suppose Celeborn is meet again).
These points here are (as far as I know) unable to be included in drafts, because we have no texts to use for it, as Tolkien never wrote about it. If he did and I have forgotten about the text, my apologies, and we may need to discuss it further. As to the Timeline, I will heartily concede that you know far more than I about the contradictions in these events, and to my eyes this timeline looks serviceable, and is certainly good enough to use as a basis of drafts going forward. I think it will be easier to see any issues with it when we review the drafts themselves. Therefore, at this time, I am in agreement with the timeline, but as we begin posting drafts and reviewing them, I may raise objections.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 04-27-2018 at 03:15 PM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote