View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #8
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
1) thanks for the catch! I fixed it in my copy.

2) If people or places or things have more than one name, Tolkien at times uses various ones, and we have not standardized them in the past. Both these names for the range have been given and explained before, so the reader knows them already.

3) The titles for the chapters are only ever taken from Tolkien himself. We do not invent chapter titles. Therefore, we are often at a loss to find ones that fit perfectly. This one fits the best of the options available, even if it fits imperfectly.

As for the timeline it goes thus: Celeborn and Galadriel go east over the Ered Lindon -> Celeborn returns to Doriath -> Doriath is sacked by the Sons of Feanor -> War of Wrath/summons of Eonwe -> Galadriel comes back to Lindon too late to hear the summons -> she and Celeborn go back east again over the Ered Lindon into Eriador. However, you are right to point out that in the draft we have, Galadriel is said to depart east over the Ered Lindon twice here:
Quote:
But such a policy having no hope of acceptance among the Elves of Beleriand, Galadriel and Celeborn departed over Ered Lindon before the end of the First Age{; and when they received the permission of the Valar to return into the West they rejected it}.> SP-SL-11 <Editorial addition based on the head note to ‘Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn’ {Celeborn “escaped the sack of Doriath”}When Celeborn returned later to Doriath> SP-SL-12 <HoME12; Part 1; Ch. VI; T4; Note 10 she passed east over the mountains and forsook Beleriand, and first of all the Noldor came to the inner lands; and too late she heard the summons of {Fionwë}[Eönwë].>
I will admit to being puzzled by this. Fin, since you compiled this, can you explain what was meant here?

4) You are right, it can easily be removed to remove the redundancy.

5) I see no reason to add these paragraphs here. They describe his son Amroth, and it says 'at the time of the death of Amroth' which is the middle of the Third Age. As it stands, those paragraphs are included in the Third Age chapter 'Of the Legend of Amroth and Nimrodel.' I also wish we knew more about Amdir, but unfortunately Tolkien never wrote more than the few footnotes and tidbits mentioning him.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote