View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
Unless I'm mistaken when piecing together this chapter, it doesn't look like there is an explanation of the Men who dwelt about Lake Evendim. However, in the text it states:

Quote:
Elsewhere in this essay it is explained that these Men dwelt about Lake Evendim...
I agree that the technical discussion on the exact meaning of the word "middle men" does not really fit here, but I think a small section from "Of Dwarves and Men II: The Atani and Their Languages" in HoMe 12 fits here. It could appear somewhere else in "Translations from the Elvish," I haven't reviewed every chapter yet. However, I think this would flow nicely:

Quote:
The captain and mariners were welcomed by Gil-galad; and thus was begun the friendship and alliance of Númenor with the Eldar of Lindon. The news spread swiftly and Men in Eriador were filled with wonder. {Elsewhere in this essay it is explained that these Men dwelt about Lake Evendim, in the North Downs and the Weather Hills, and in the lands between as far as the Brandywine, west of which they often wandered though they did not dwell there.} <Of Dwarves and Men II: The Atani and Their Languages> In the days of the earlier settlements of Numenor there were many Men of different kinds in Eriador and Rhovanion; but for the most part they dwelt far from the coasts. The regions of Forlindon and Harlindon were inhabited by Elves and were the chief part of Gil-galad's kingdom, which extended, north of the Gulf of Lune, to include the lands east of the Blue Mountains and west of the River Lune as far as the inflow of the Little Lune. Beyond that was Dwarf territory. South of the Lune it had no clear bounds, but the Tower Hills (as they were later called) were maintained as an outpost. The Minhiriath and the western half of Enedhwaith between the Greyflood and the Isen were still covered with dense forest. The shores of the Bay of Belfalas were still mainly desolate, except for a haven and small settlement of Elves at the mouth of the confluence of Morthond and Ringlo. But it was long before the Numenorean settlers about the Mouths of Anduin ventured north of their great haven at Pelargir and made contact with Men who dwelt in the valleys on either side of the White Mountains. {Their term Middle Men was thus originally applied to Men of Eriador, the most westerly of Mankind in the Second Age and known to the Elves of Gil-galad's realm. At that time there were many men in Eriador, mainly, it would seem, in origin kin of the Folk of Beor, though some were kin of the Folk of Hador.} They dwelt about Lake Evendim, in the North Downs and the Weather Hills, and in the lands between as far as the Brandywine, west of which they often wandered though they did not dwell there.
They were friendly with the Elves, though they held them in awe; and they feared the Sea and would not look upon it...
If you don't want to include this section then we should simply remove "Elsewhere in this essay it is explained".
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote