View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #12
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
This actually fits remarkably well here, as I did not think possible. Perhaps we should consider including also the subheading FY-HL-04.4: The Istari. I think this edit is very good, but I do have some changes to suggest.

Where it says in RS-SL-31.2:
Quote:
Among Men they were supposed (at first) by those that had dealings with them to be Men who had acquired lore and arts by long and secret study. They first appeared in Middle-earth about the year 1000 of the Third Age, ...
We need to change this because of our draft says that the Ithryn Luin came in the Second Age. Therefore I propose:
Quote:
Among Men they were supposed (at first) by those that had dealings with them to be Men who had acquired lore and arts by long and secret study. RS-SL-31.2b {They first}The last of them appeared in Middle-earth about the year 1000 of the Third Age, ...
This, I think, fixes the issue.

I am unsure why you ended RS-SL-31.2 where you did. The following paragraph of the essay you have not taken up, but I think it contains key information about the colors of Saruman and Radagast and Gandalf, so I think we should take it (with some edits):
Quote:
... would endeavour to dominate and corrupt.
Of this Order the number is unknown; but of those that came to the North of Middle-earth, where there was most hope (because of the remnant of the Dúnedain and of the Eldar that abode there), the chiefs was five. The first to come {was} RS-SL-31.3 <late note came much earlier than the others, at the same time probably as Glorfindel, when matters became very dangerous in the Second Age.> In the Third Age, the first to come was one of noble mien and bearing, with raven hair, and a fair voice, and he was clad in white; great skill he had in works of hand, and he was regarded by well-nigh all, even by the Eldar, as the head of the Order. Others there were also: RS-SL-31.4 {two clad in sea-blue, and} one in earthen brown; and the last came one who seemed the least, less tall than the others, and in looks more aged, grey-haired and grey-clad, and leaning on a staff.>
This gives us some much-needed info. Both the edits I introduced were simply to make it clear that the two blue wizards had come much earlier.

In RS-SL-32.5b, there needs to be made a small edit:
Quote:
Of the Blue little was known in the West, and they had no names save Ithryn Luin ‘the Blue Wizards;’ for they passed into the East RS-SL-32.6 {with Curunír}long ago, but they never returned, ....
Since they came into Middle-earth in the Second Age, and it was said that they immediately went into the East to combat Sauron there, and their efforts no doubt contributed to his lessened military might in the Second Age, they cannot have gone into the East with Curunir. Therefore this change must be made.

Those were the only changes I saw. This was done really well!

This is a different note, but gandalf made a point of wanting to include a portion of the essay given here in the chapter Of the Five Wizards and if I like his inclusion there, I may think it should be removed from this chapter, but I will wait until he gives an example of his draft.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 12-14-2018 at 11:03 PM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote