Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
3) The Council of Elrond
There are so many backstories and so much history you could swear is was real.
...it's not real?

I also favor FotR...it has to be my favorite part.

Well, as I stated at the beginning of the topic, here are my current top NINE chapters with explanations. No particular favorite order, just listed in chronological order. I can't decide the tenth anymore.

The Old Forest
This chapter is so close to my heart and it is one of the main reasons Middle-earth is so real to me. There is something about this chapter...I can't really describe it.

In the House of Tom Bombadil
Another amazing chapter, it makes me feel quite homely. I love the coziness of Tom's House and how the Hobbits feel. I also like when Tolkien explains the dreams the Hobbits were having.

Fog on the Barrow-Downs
Can you feel the fright in this chapter? I can...once you reach Bree you feel somewhat safe again, and you know the Hobbits felt the same!

The Ring Goes South
The journey of the Fellowship begins. Such an amazing chapter, and I love when the Company arrives at Hollin, the fight with wolves and Gandalf's magic, and of course Caradhras.

The Great River
This is one of my favorite chapters because not only do I love the traveling and the scenery depictions Tolkien gives, but I really enjoy the dialogue between the characters, especially when Boromir speaks. I also love when Legolas shoots down the Winged Beast, and when the Company goes through the Tindrock, and when they see the Argonath.

The Departure of Boromir
The final farewell to my favorite character in which he repents.

Treebeard
I love this chapter- Merry and Pippin wander into Fangorn and meet Treebeard. The scene in Wellinghall is amazing.

The Black Gate Opens
The Battle before Mt. Doom, trying to buy Frodo time. The ultimate sacrifice. Pippin slays a troll. I love this chapter.

The Scouring of the Shire
For the Hobbits, the whole journey comes full circle here when they return to their beloved home and see what devastation has been done there. They rise up in arms and take back what is theirs. A very inspirational chapter and, like I said, the Hobbits come full circle, from four ordinary rustic hobbits to four hardened indiviuals who know the hardships and endurance of the outside world.

I've realized it's kind of a toss up between The King of the Golden Hall and Three is Company. I love the introduction of Theoden and his realm, but I also love the three hobbit's early journey and their meeting with the Elves.