View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 08:06 AM   #39
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Elentari,<P>Regarding Astin....<P>Astin's nomination is a longshot since he did not receive a nom from the Screen Actors' Guild or from other major groups. There were a number of smaller film critics' associations from which he did win an award or nomination: Utah, Las Vegas, Seattle (wins); Phoenix and Chicago (nomination only); Online Films Critics (still pending, I think). <P>He's apparently "resigned" to his fate according to a quote by Sean in Entertainment Weekly, 1/16:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>"When conversation returns to that Oscar question, Astin remains unfailingly honest. An Academy member, he admits he'll likely vote for himself, because hey, ITS AN OSCAR! Still, he's pre-emptively pessimistic. 'I find myself almost depressed right now,' he says. 'Like I want to get the disappointment out of the way.'"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>RotK may well be the first movie in a long, long time to win Oscars for best picture and director yet not get a single acting nomination (let alone an award). I would be pleasantly surprised to see Sean get an Oscar nomination, but my guess is that this is not going to happen. Too bad there's not an overall ensemble or cast award for the Oscars, as I think they would have a better shot at that.<P>Mr. Underhill --- Like Saucepan Man, I think all the signs point to the Best Picture and Director Oscars, and I will be surprised if that doesn't happen. I felt that way even before the Globes, and I think last night gave the film another shot in the arm.<p>[ 9:12 AM January 26, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]