View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 02:34 AM   #46
denethorthefirst
Haunting Spirit

denethorthefirst has just left Hobbiton.
Another thing that i find curious: Tolkien wrote that the Istari aged, albeit very slowly. When Saruman appeared in Lindon he had black hair but by the time of the War of the Ring it had gone completely white. If you take this development to its logical conclusion, doesn't that mean that the Istari would, eventually, "die" if they stayed long enough in Middle-Earth? What if, for example, Sauron had been a lot (a lot, lot, lot) more patient? If he had spent a few more thousand years in the East, if he decided to let time work for him, and the War of the Ring had started in the Year 6000 of the Third Age instead of 3018 T.A. Would the Istari have died of old Age by then? If Sarumans hair went from black to white (so his appearance went from being more or less middle-aged to rather old) in a timespan of circa 2000 years (not a lot of time actually for an immortal being thats been around since the start of time), then what would 3000 more years do? I mean: the Istari are, for all intents and purposes, human, i.e. fully incarnated and completely tied to their bodies!

Because of that, i never fully understood why those five Maiar undertook the mission at all. Why would an immortal, naturally discarnate being do such a thing? Become imprisoned in a relatively frail body with an expiration date and, essentially, go on a suicide mission that, if it fails, would spell certain "death"? For all eternity? The incarnation process at least seems irreversible? Or did the Valar promise the Istari that, after their victory over Sauron and their return to Valinor, they would reverse the incarnation and return them to their naturally discarnate state, able to change their "clothing" at will? I guess the Valar may have been able to achieve that and its the only explanation that makes the whole thing at least somewhat believable. At least the Istari now have some motivation and at least are not punished for their sacrifice.

But, given all that, what exactly is Sarumans End-Game in Middle-Earth? What is he thinking, hoping? He knows that he is imprisoned in a human body and unable to change it or leave it. This body also restricts his natural Power and carries with it a lot of limitations, for example the need for food and sleep ... must be rather frustrating for an immortal being like "Curumo". Why then would he do what he did? Trying to build an empire, alienating the Valar, essentially putting all his eggs in Middle-Earth? He should know that, given his incarnation, that that course has no future and that it would be only a matter of time before his body gives out? What will he do then, without the help of the Valar? Maybe he thought that, with the One Ring, he would be in a position to strengthen his body and have the power to prolong its life or maybe reincarnate himself in a completely new body? Thats the only explanation i have, otherwise Sarumans actions make absolutely NO SENSE in my opinion, just from a purely self-preservation perspective, disregarding the whole moral dilemma.

Last edited by denethorthefirst; 05-10-2018 at 03:53 AM.
denethorthefirst is offline   Reply With Quote