View Single Post
Old 03-01-2003, 12:52 PM   #236
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Hreeza tried to form her thoughts into a sensible order, trying to work methodically instead of thinking. She knew exactly what they were up against. They had no chance...no, not no chance, they had one very slim chance...

"Right...we must have some sort of tactics to fight this monster." She spoke quite slowly, arranging her thoughts as she spoke, but trying to speak confidently. "Khorbar, Lorin, you will fire as many arrows as possible at the spider, as fast as you can, from ledges above. Dont worry, there are ledges, I...I have been here before." She simply gave this explanation, as she knew they wouldnt understand the way her mind and memory worked, not even Arawil fully, and although the maia gave her a strange look, she didnt question her, and neither did any of the others. "This will give us the element of surprise, provided we move quietly. Elentari, would you be able to multiply the arrows as they fly, somehow?"

Hreeza knew it was a wild hope, but after a moments careful thought, the elf witch nodded. Hreeza smiled at her and carried on. "Thankyou. This will probably confuse Shelob, and she will be busy wondering what is happening and looking for the source of the arrows, hopefully without success, as you must confuse her. Make as many of the arrows count as you can, but spread them around a bit, to confuse her. I will give a signal, and you must stop firing. As soon as you do, the rest of you will rush in, attacking with swords. Come in two lines, a few on the front who will then…drop back, and the others will move in. After a few minutes, they will drop back and the second row will go forward again, more refreshed. This means we can keep attacking her continually. If the archers feel up to it, they can also come back down and join the attack from the other side UNLESS Shelob is completely blocking the corridor down. If she is, don’t give indication you are there until she has moved away; if youre too close, one swing of her legs could…” She stopped, not knowing how to phrase it. “Well, anyway. Elentari, you do not have to attack with the archers if you don’t feel up to it-“

“I will.” Elentari stubbornly interrupted. Hreeza looked at her and cursed silently as she realised the witch had probably taken it as an insult to her ability. She would speak with her afterwards.

“With this method, we should be able to tire out Shelob and finish her off.” She finished hopefully, if rather lamely. She then came round to float just behind Elentari. The elf witch sensed her there and spoke before Hreeza could.

“I will help. I will.”
“You don’t have to.”
“I will!” The witch sounded insulted. It was as if she had to prove something. Hreeza sighed and spoke even more softly, gently.
“You have nothing to prove. I know how magic can wear you out.” Elentari looked like she would start again, but Hreeza got there first. “Just remember you don’t have to, alright?”

The witch nodded, after a pause. Then Khorbar cleared his throat, looking around; he couldn’t see Hreeza. “Here.” She said, letting him know where she was. He spun around, then gathered himself and spoke.

“What will you be doing during this, Hreeza? With all respect.” He added hastily. “Its just…well, you can fight with neither sword nor bow. And what if Shelob sees us, when we are going up to fire at her, on these ledges you tell of?”

Hreeza grinned to herself, knowing the others wouldn’t see the malice in her smile. “Those things are related. Don’t worry, I will deal with her eyesight before I give the signal to shoot. Nay, she will not be able to use her eyes much, I think..” Hreeza laughed softly, but it was a harder laugh than usual; she was at last going to get her revenge.

“Come, let us go. Shelob awaits.” Quietly, Hreeza led the way towards the being in the darkness…