View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #110
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
RD-EX-24: I see your point. But the addition you made will not go. If the blood is a problem it has to go:
Quote:
§292 (§23) RD-EX-24 TN Then, remembering the wisdom of {Gwenniel}[Melian] his wife, the king was minded to hearken , and he bade gather it up and cast it into the stream before the gates. Yet even so he might not shake off its spell, and he said to himself: ‘First will I gaze my last upon its loveliness ere I fling it from me for ever.’ Therefore he let wash it clean of its stains{ of blood} in clear waters, and display it before him. ...
RD-EX-60: Your Suggestion sounds good, we will take it.

RD-EX-67: In that case I think the safest way is simply to skip 'the fairy':
Quote:
... RD-EX-67<TN {and Auredhir was}And [Eluréd and Elurín ]were most like to {his}their forefather Beren, and all loved {him}them, yet none so dearly as did Dior; but Elwing{ the fairy} have all poesies named as beautiful as Tinúviel if that indeed may be, yet hard is it to say seeing the great loveliness of the {elfin}[elven] folk of yore.>
Thanks for pointing me to the misspellings, I corrected them. The last is interesting. I have no idea how, but the source information is weired. The passage is from the basic text, which is The History of Middle-Earth; volume 4; The Shaping of Middle-Earth; chapter III: The Quenta Noldorinwa (Q30). And the coma is in the original text. So I would consider the change to 'and' stylistic, which we avoided so far.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote