View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #143
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
“So how are you doing?" Léof asked, "I haven’t seen much of you these past couple days – is anything interesting happening?”

"I've just been around the town, running errands for the carpenters and such work." Gárwine said. He casually leaned against Herefola's stall. She came up to rub at his elbows. Gárwine scratched her nose. She looked much healthier than a week ago, after Gárwine's great ride to Edoras. Léof had taken good care of her.

Léof hummed a half-amused tone. "If you're not busy later, Linduial has asked me to help hang wall hangings. Want to help? I thought it would be fun to see how the Gondorian nobility live." He grinned.

"Sure," said Gárwine. Linduial had been the most intriguing of all the girls at the mead hall: a noble maiden of a far away land, probably hiding all sorts of exotic treasures behind her bedroom door. Gárwine had not seen much of her over the week. And wall hangings? Gárwine couldn't imagine that she'd need help hanging a few cloths on the walls. She seemed tall enough. "Wall hangings, you say, like tapestries?"

"Yes, and maybe paintings or other decoration. She was somewhat vague in her description. I suppose she might want some furniture moved around, too. You're welcome to help."

After a short pause, Gárwine said, "I think I will help. I've been curious to see what she's brought from Gondor. What do you suppose she has in that room? I think it's probably full of chests of gold and family heirlooms. She is nobility, you know."

"A princess. Her luggage must be filled with silk dresses and golden jewelry. She must be used to being pampered by dozens of servants and living in palaces. But she doesn't complain about the Mead Hall."

As the two boys were daydreaming about the luxuries of the life of a Gondorian nobleperson, Thornden came walking down the hall to the stables. He appeared in the doorway and told the boys that Eodwine would soon continue the story of Gob and Twiddle. "Would you like to join us?" Thornden asked.

"I might come later, when I've finished my work here," said Léof. Gárwine nodded his head to show that he was staying.

"Suit yourself," said Thronden and strode back the way he came. Léof, meanwhile, was moving his own horse into another stall. Gárwine stood by Herefola, patting her neck. He had only seen her once or twice over the week and was glad to see that she was doing well.

"You know, Léof, have you noticed how our horses look so alike? Sometimes I wonder if they are related somehow. Herefola's mother was given to us as a gift, after my father and his comrades fought away Dunlendings in the Westfolde years ago. How did you come by Æthel?"

Last edited by Alcarillo; 03-28-2006 at 11:42 PM.